Twila E. Palmer's Blog
89 Hildreth Street, Westford, MA 01886
16 Balmoral St, Andover, MA 01810
The seventh and tenth year have presented challenges for romantic relationships. These milestones can also present challenges for homeowners, especially as housing structures and appliances start to age and decay.
Get more and better life out of your house
Yet, as with romantic relationships, house decay does not absolutely have to happen. Proper maintenance could keep your house functioning at high levels for years. Areas of your house that you need to check regularly include:
- Automatic garage door opener - Check to see that your garage door raises and lowers evenly. When your garage door touches the ground, a part of the door should not be even with the ground while another part of the garage door is raised in the air.
- Roof - Once a year, climb up on your roof and check the shingles. Make sure that your roof shingles are not bubbling or curling. Also, make sure that the shingles are not discolored, thinning or developing holes. If you do spot signs of wear and tear in your roof shingles,replace the shingles that are showing decay. This could keep you from having to replace your entire roof. It could also prevent your roof from leaking which could cause damage to other parts of your house, including your walls and floors.
- Floor - Walk through each room of your house. Similar to what you would look for when you example your roof shingles, check to see if your floor tiles are bubbling, curling or thinning in spots.Replacing single floor tiles is a lot less costly and less time consuming that installing an entire room floor.
- Carpet - Extending the life of your carpet could be as simple as vacuuming and washing your carpet regularly. Wipe or scrub away stains as soon as you spot them. You could also take off your shoes before you step on your carpet. Depending on the type of carpet that you have, your carpet should remain in good condition for at least seven years.
- Appliances - Expand your home review and checkout your house appliances. For example, you should replace washer hoses and dryer filters as needed. Also, replace air conditioner and heating filters.
Small house maintenance is a huge cost saver
Space isn't the only reason why people get tired of their current home and start house hunting. Signs of wear and tear can also make people lose appreciation for their house. With a little regular examination, maintenance and repair, you could appreciate your house for years.
You could also save money. Small maintenance and minor repairs generally do not cost nearly as much as a full repair or replacement does. This goes for house structure items like your roof walls and floors as well as for your home appliances.
By caring for your home on a regular maintenance schedule, you can also keep the value of your house at a high level. Should you decide to sell your house, you won't have to spend as much money to get your house up to code as you would have had to spend had you not performed regular inspections and maintenance on your home.
362 Pond St, Dunstable, MA 01827
An uncommon home comes with more than a unique structural design. Move into an uncommon home and you may also get size, value and incredible interior and exterior views. Personality and history are other takeaways attached to an uncommon home.
Where uncommon homes are in your city
Should walkability be important to you, you might want to look for an uncommon home in a downtown or midtown area. You'll be within walking distance of sidewalk cafes, boutiques, local restaurants, theaters and arts shops.
There will always be something nearby. Depending on the town you buy an uncommon home in,you might be able to find an exciting place to eat or entertain at all times during the day and night. If you're in the market for an uncommon home, you could connect with a realtor who has experience finding uncommon housing gems.
But, this approach could cost you. Here are some great places to find an uncommon home:
- Oldest neighborhoods - The older neighborhoods are, the more history they might have. It might take some digging to discover rich history nuggets about the area. Yet, they are there. Looking for these history gems will teach you more about the town you just bought an uncommon home in. It's a great way to appreciate more of the city. You'll probably also avoid boredom, routine and settling into too much comfort as you continue to search for the history gems. Who knows? One day, you might get paid to give city or neighborhood tours.
- Movie makers - Eclectic neighborhoods have made their way into major motion pictures. Most houses in major motion pictures are located in actual neighborhoods. People actually live in some of these houses.
- Artists dwellings - Few people are more creative and forward thinking like artists are. Artists' houses are uncommon because they house unusual items like designer gowns, dresses and suits. Other things that you might find at artists' houses are original novel manuscripts, clay artwork, rare photographs and original paintings. Even if the artists takes all of her artwork with her after she sells you her uncommon home, the energy and memories of the many creations that started in the house will remain.
- Iconic homes - A sure marking of an uncommon home is a house that's designed by an architect. Move into one of these uncommon homes and you might have a house that's designed unlike any other house in the entire country.
Uncommon houses need your bold personality and ambition to truly shine
Buying a house that's unlike any other house on the block gives you a footprint. It gives you a chance to become a part of history, as some uncommon houses have provided environmental protections and warmth to local, national and international leaders.
After you unpack and move your furniture into an uncommon home, start putting your own mark on the house. Hang eclectic pictures on the walls. Line floors with throw rugs that do more than decorate, that send a message. But, don't stop there. Create life changing experiences that change you, everyone around you, the entire town.