Twila E. Palmer's Blog
When shopping for a home, most people take their time searching for the perfect house. The question is, how much time should be spent searching for the right neighborhood as well? To find the superb setting for your new home, the house and neighborhood need to offer what your family desires. The following information should be helpful when trying to determine if a neighborhood is right for you. Paint a mental picture of your perfect neighborhood. Write a list of the characteristics your ideal neighborhood would possess, taking into consideration your long and short term needs. Then answer the following questions:
- Do you have or plan to have children ?
- How far are you willing to commute ?
- How much property do you want surrounding your home ?
- Are you looking for a rural or urban setting ?
- Do you prefer a historic neighborhood or one with more modern homes?
- Would you be comfortable in a neighborhood with lots of noise and activities or would you prefer a more quiet serene one?
- Population demographic
- School system
- Crime statistics
- Property values and tax rates
- Local entertainment, shopping and dinning